Buying a New Laptop

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:46:54 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:30, Christofer C. Bell <
> christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The only vendor I'm aware of that still offers them is Apple, hence why I
>> only use Apple laptops (and would even were I running Windows or Linux
>> exclusively).
>>

> Except that, if this is going to be a *Linux* laptop you'd be dealing with
> Alps pointing device, NVidia+Intel hybrid graphics and Broadcom wireless.
> Why put yourself through that kind of driver pain when laptops with equal
> design and 1st-class supported hardware are readily available for 20% less?

While there may or may not be better supported hardware from a driver
perspective in other laptops, the design and construction of PC laptops
compared to Macs is embarrassing.  I can only assume the reason people
continue to buy such garbage is that there are simply no alternatives
available.  Even Lenovo machines are awful these days (based on the
selection at MicroCenter).

--
Chris