Synology & Fsck

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 14:04:15 CDT 2010

I would personally go to runlevel 1, unmount the disk and run fsck on it and fix the problems. Then once you have a clean disk you should know if more investigation is required. Right now you have a borked filesystem and you shouldn't be running anything pn it until it's fixed. But that's just my opinion.

Also, curious to how you set up the file system. What size blocks is it using? If your filesystem is going to have lots of small files, you are better off using a small lock size. Sometimes the default settings on creating filesystems are ok, but sometimes you want to tweak the settings for better use of the disk. A smaller disk with a lot of small files will benefit from optimizing the inode block-size. Although it looks like you have plenty of free inodes. Conversely if you have mostly big files, then using a bigger size block will improve system performance. Of course, this is irrelevant now, without wiping out the data on the drive.

Jack