Synology & Fsck

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 20:05:15 CDT 2010

Kelsay:
Very nearly all space in use is being used by the OS proper and, strangely,
far less than required for an install. I could hose the system with an rm
-rf / and still not have enough space to install new firmware, due to this
phantom disk usage problem.

Andrew:
I'm assuming md0 is on one or more of my two disks, but still investigating
whether this is safe to do. Researching mdadm-style software RAID is top of
my list of things to do in 9-10 hours after work, but not comfortable
popping it out just yet/not sure how to tell if this /dev/md0 device is only
on one of my disks and not on both, or a third device/onboard flash.

Jack:
Sorry about that - I did have the "fsck -n" output, but didn't want to make
my post that much longer. Dumped it here, as well as "df -i" and "du -sxk /"
output. The fsck does give multiple free space errors, and df -i only shows
13% of inodes in use.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgrxhrtx_82fmxvtsfg

Is there a way to safely fix the problem on a live filesystem, due to
Synology's custom distro ignoring tune2fs's check interval settings on boot?