How to tell what's stock and what's added in *buntu?

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:17:19 CDT 2010

My daughter's Edubuntu machine had some slight issues during the upgrade
from 9.10 to 10.04.  It was alllllmost done with the upgrade (percentage in
the upper 90s) when it locked up hard and all I could do was reset it.  I
thought maybe I'd have to do the upgrade over but from that point on it has
operated as a 10.04 machine.  That was early May.

Everything seems to work for the most part, although while booting up and
shutting down, it has a text-based screen instead of the graphical one.
Also the sound has some real hiccups, at least during login, and it's been
having some stone cold lockups lately, especially while doing lengthy
network-intensive operations.

I could try to fix it as it stands, but at this point I'd rather do a fresh
install.  I've got the Edubuntu 10.04 dvd on the desk, and /home is on its
own partition, so the data there will survive and I'll just have to recreate
the user accounts.

The thing I would like to do is get a list of the various pieces of software
I've installed over and above the stock selection that ships with Edubuntu,
so I can reduce the time spent redoing all that installation work.  Does
anyone know of a good way to get the system to tell you a list of all the
.debs you have installed beyond what it shipped with?

Thanks!

Kendric Beachey