MythTV questions

Chris Bier chris.bier at cymor.com
Thu Sep 17 11:55:35 CDT 2009

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO wrote:
> I finally got my network run over to the MythTV box a couple days ago.
> I ran updates on the PC and added a couple myth plug-ins that I did not
> get a chance to choose at install.
>
> I know this is weird, but I don't have a TV capture card in this PC.  I
> have digital satellite and like digital cable, the tuner in the cards
> are not capable of getting all the channels and require a descrambler
> box.  I don't want to mess with an IR blaster and training the family
> how to use the device.
>
> What I do want to do is start getting torrents of TV episodes to the
> box.  Is there anything in MythTV to download torrents?  I saw something
> about RSS feeds, but haven't a clue about getting that going.  I think I
> loaded a myth plugin for a feed reader.   How do I find the feeds or
> what is the best way to go about finding episodes of a couple shows like
> Heroes, Mentalist, Dexter, Robot Chicken, etc. including past seasons
> and getting them into the  MythTV database/interface?
>
> I'm not sure that a torrent program loaded, so I'll have to verify that
> or get one.   I've downloaded torrents before, but the key is to get
> them into MythTV to make it easier for everyone else.
>
> The other thing is that I loaded a plugin for using game emulators
> within MythTV, called MythGame.  Do I have to load the emulators
> separately via the apt-get process?   Any idea how to import the game
> ROMs.   Someone gave me a couple burned CDs full of game ROMs a few
> years ago and as soon as I find them, I like to get those classic games
> running.
>

> Brian Kelsay

I'm pretty new to MythTV, too.  For the torrents, I'd probably setup
something with rtorrent.  It can watch a directory for torrents, and
automatically start downloading.  It's mainly a console app, and works
really well for me.  You could also look at Azarus.  I remember reading
it has a RSS feed torrent autodownloader plugin.