MythTV questions

rod crimson.blue.2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:42:27 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:

> What I do want to do is start getting torrents of TV episodes to the box.
> Is there anything in MythTV to download torrents?

I don't know about haveing myth deal with the  torrents but you might
try some other mechanism for getting media files into your
/storage/video directory. I think the myth database is very concerned
with the files that it puts in  /storage/liveTV and /storage/recodings
  but the contents /storage/video directory can just be played  from
the menu options <Media Libray> <Watch Videos>.   I think this will
allow you to store random clips or shows that myth will try to figure
out how to display.   There is just a bit of interaction with the
database from this directory, specifically if you  rip a DVD this is
where it gets placed and myth can go out to the web and try for find
the movie poster jpg associated with the DVD.

> feeds, but haven't a clue about getting that going.  I think I loaded a myth
> plugin for a feed reader.   How do I find the feeds or what is the best way
> to go about finding episodes of a couple shows like Heroes, Mentalist,
> Dexter, Robot Chicken, etc. including past seasons and getting them into
> the  MythTV database/interface?

I think you are better of not getting them into the database.  The
database seems very concerned with TV channels, schedules of shows,
and info on show that it has recorded, most of this info comes from
Schedule Direct.  Your torrents won't have this, but they should have
a meaningful filename.

> I'm not sure that a torrent program loaded, so I'll have to verify that or
> get one.   I've downloaded torrents before, but the key is to get them into
> MythTV to make it easier for everyone else.

/storage/videos

Another heads up, there seems to be two plug-ins referred to as
MythWeb  one is more or less a browser the other is a great interface
for controlling the server machine remotely.  I hope to get the some
of the security issues worked out with the latter.   From the little
that I've seen, it looks great.  The former I'm not interested in.