Decompilers

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Nov 2 01:04:58 CST 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 10:03:58 pm Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> If your dog keeps pooping in my yard, there's nothing illegal about
> that.

If there's a law against it, it's illegal.

> However, I can sue you in civil court because you have caused "harm" to me

If there isn't a law against it, you have no basis for suing.

> (allowing your dog to pollute my property).

Fertiliser isn't pollution! :p

> Civil trials are used to determine "who was injured" (another legal
> term) and to asses compensation (yet another legal term), not to
> determine if any laws were broken.  No one goes to jail or gets a
> criminal record for losing a civil dispute.

If no laws were broken, you cannot establish culpability for non-criminal
injury. If you get hurt because I do something legal, I have no obligation to
compensate you for it.