"How do you deal with difficult people?"

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:12:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Julie <betelgeuse67stang at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is nothing new. I ran into it way back in 2003. I was applying for a
> retail position when I was asked how I would handle a person who came into
> the shop raving mad because of a negative experience with it. I answered
> that I'd try to calm them down by diverting their attention to something in
> the shop that was more positive and, therefore, give them a positive
> experience there to replace the negative one they had felt.

I think the correct response is something along the lines of you will
empathize with the customer, commiserate with their upset, and then provide
solutions to their problem.  Diverting their attention to something else in
the store just tells the customer, "I don't care about your issue, but look,
here's a bunny!"

--
Chris