NAS advice?

Randy Rathbun randyrathbun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:50:46 CDT 2009

I agree with Justin on his point about the firmware. The stuff I have
seen so far has stunk.

The first device I picked up a while ago would work fine - if only one
user was doing one thing on it. Throw another task at it, and it would
lock up. There was a firmware upgrade for the thing, but that would
allow two tasks. What was the point?

The next device I picked up started off just as bad. As soon as some
bit torrent traffic started up, the device would freeze. A few weeks
later this was fixed in firmware. Once I threw a fourth computer at
it, the device again froze.

I've pretty much had it with these devices!

I did come up with a solution though - Mac mini with usb drives
hanging off it. Have yet to kill that thing. Plus, it is low power,
which to me is a biggie. It's also dang quiet.

In other words, get a real computer doing the job. These "NAS" devices
devices might be okay for your mom, but if you want to be productive
spend a few extra bucks and put up a real computer. Even one of the