NAS advice?

Justin Dugger jld5445 at ksu.edu
Tue Apr 21 14:29:19 CDT 2009

This a question I put before askMeFi in January [1]. After parsing the
recommendations, I picked up a DNS 323 [2] a few months ago to meet my
own requirements.

A NAS is usually sold as a turnkey product. Default firmwares have a
specific set of features and that's it. If you're lucky they'll fix
performance bugs or add a bittorrent feature late in the game.  But
don't expect the default firmware to let admin a NAS like a normal
box.  This stuff is built for large markets with disposable incomes.
I would make sure whatever you buy says it supports USB UPS monitoring
and shutdown before pulling the trigger. And make sure it supports
UPNP if you want that.

Alternatively, Debian does build on ARM, and there's at least one
Debian Developer [3] working on generalizing support for these
devices. Last I heard, they're working on improving throughput for
these devices. You'd be able to put in all the normal UNIX tools, and
run normal USB devices Debian supports.  Very few manufacturers
encourage this, so the set of hardware that runs Debian perfectly is
constrained in many ways.  The closest to your requirements I've seen
seems to be the QNAP TS-409 [4]. Expecting real time transcoding out
of a 500Mhz ARM with no DSP is still crazy, though.

I think WiFi connectivity is going to be killer here -- are you
expecting a NAS with wifi built in, or just planning on plugging into
a WiFi bridge?

Justin Dugger

[1] http://ask.metafilter.com/112653/Reccomend-an-NSLU2-alternative
[2] http://wiki.dns323.info/