DSL link aggregation?

Ed Allen era at jimani.com
Fri May 9 12:27:04 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:49:30AM -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Ed Allen <era at jimani.com> wrote:
> >  FTP being based on UDP is connectionless so no worries about TCP connections
> >  being trashed by confusion over IP addresses.
>
> Cough Cough http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html Cough...

	Hardly worth wading through 150K because you wanted to point out that
	FTP has been switched to TCP.

	Any other reason you think I should spend time reading that ?

> A TCP stack does that too.  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html (Page
> 4, Section: Reliability)

	TCP acks each packet.  UDP is "send it and hope it gets there".

	So TCP needs a channel back to the sending box for those ACKs while
	UDP just takes what it gets and the software above needs to check for
	completeness.

	Even so I do not see a problem with sending alternate packets through
	two IP addresses for outgoing as the ACKs will choose one to reply through
	ignoring the other as a "more expensive" route.

--
Ed Allen