DSL link aggregation?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:49:30 CDT 2008

It was not originally clear that Greg controlled both ends of the FTP
connection.  If that were the case, then you could use each dsl modem
connection separately, and use some sort of VPN or tunneling software
to create two separate (virtual) "trunks" between the two servers.
Then bond those trunks together like regular interfaces.  OpenVPN
would be a good cross platform candidate for VPN.  Whichever bonding
mode you choose, you should make sure it can handle link failure
"gracefully".

Cough Cough http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html Cough...

>  The BONDING section of the article pointed to, by Johnathan Hutchins I think,
>  specifically mentions that it works with DSL.
>
>  UDP is inherently unreliable so the receiving software must deal with packets
>  arriving from multiple routers, intermediate hosts, with differing amounts of
>  delay so FTP software reassembles out of order packets coming from different
>  addresses constantly.

A TCP stack does that too.  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html (Page
4, Section: Reliability)