DSL link aggregation?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed May 7 00:21:50 CDT 2008

For a number of technical reasons, it is not possible to use two
residential internet connections to "accelerate" the path between the
same two computers.  At least when using TCP, a persistent connection
has to originate from an IP address.  Each of the dsl modems will be
provisioning unique IP addresses.  Thus one connection can only
originate from one of the two dsl modems at a time and only use one
modem's worth of bandwidth.  With cooperation of the ISP, you could
channel bond, but that cooperation will cost you $1025/mo and require
a special router at both ends of the connection.  The best you can
hope for is to "balance" logical IP traffic over the two outbound
interfaces, such that a multitude of LAN clients can split their
bandwidth half and half between either internet connection.  This
itself is very difficult do do and would require some iptables/route
table kung-foo the likes of which I have never heard of in any
pre-existing firewall distro, but still wouldn't help with the problem
you describe.  There are some "network appliances" that offer "dual
WAN" but read the fine print.  They might just be for failover.  You'd
want load balancing.