Usenet

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 29 12:18:37 CDT 2008

Something nobody's mentioned here, given that most of our distinguished
contributors are admittedly ignorant of what _is_ on Usenet news groups, is
the fact that many of them carry binary copies of music and video.  One can
pull whole TV series off the news groups.  Time Warner's main business is NOT
providing internet service.  It is "intelectual property" - a market they
desperately want to control.

I can get British TV series off of Usenet that I can't get through BBC America
or other "legitimate" sources, and I can get them without them having been
edited, dumbed-down and censored (supposedly to better appeal to American
tastes).

We tend to think censorship goes one way, that it's material from the U.S.
that gets censored for other countries.  Nothing could be further from the
truth.