How do you feel about Windows piracy?

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:36:54 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, feba thatl <febaen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious as to what some of you think of Windows piracy. Do you think
> it's alright if it's only done to run software that only works on Windows
> due to MS's monopolistic tactics? Do you think it's alright if it replaces
> the purchase of a legit copy, as it hurt's MS's profit margin? Do you think
> it's always bad? Do you think that software should always be free anyway?
> Are your decisions about this based on law or morals?

I don't pirate Windows.  If I need to run it, I can buy a cheapo used
computer form somewhere like Surplus Exchange that has a license key
sticker on it and run a legitimate install of Windows with that.  I
also won't sell/giveaway a machine with an invalid Windows on it.
I'll either put a Linux install on it, or wipe it.  Morality of free
software is one thing, when the software was written and *MEANT* to be
free.  Commercial software has a place in the world and breaking the
law and using an excuse of software freedom to justify piracy is less
palpable than just not using it at all.  Do note that various projects
like WINE and ReactOS let one run Windows software without Windows,
bypassing most of the Windows licensing issue.

Jon.