logwatch question

jim at jimani.com jim at jimani.com
Sun Sep 30 01:11:54 CDT 2007

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 01:20:06PM -0500, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> I have not been able to fathom the logwatch documentation, which appears to be
> targeted at building custom log-parsing filters as opposed to basic control
> of the program.  The package distributed by Mandriva is configured to report
> httpd errors.  Our site gets way more than 10,000 hits per day, and has been
> up for more than ten years.   The error log is several megabytes long, and
> logwatch doesn't even summarize, it reports EVERY ERROR.  I don't really need
> it to scan the httpd logs, how can I turn that off?

To disable the http report I think you simply need to remove the
/etc/log.d/conf/services/http.conf file.  Actually, I think you only need
to get rid of the ".conf" part for it to be skipped.

If you would like to fix the report to do what you want (or not do what you
don't want) then you need to do some hacking on the Perl script that does the
work, /etc/log.d/scripts/services/http.
--
Jim