Speaking of Desktops [AKA my little rant]

leenix leenix at kc.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 22:15:08 CDT 2007

> was a SuSE project to out-eye-candy Vista.  (From what little I've
seen of
> Vista so far, Compiz is actually more like the next-gen Apple
interface.)

Since there maybe others on this list that don't use Windows at all, and
since your information helped quite a bit, I'll share what I know about
Vista, for what it is worth. I use Vista at work (I'm a programmer) and
I gotta say, even with the new look, not a lot has changed with the
Windows products. I like some of the new features of IIS 7, but Apache
still has it beat in flexibility and speed. The newest (release) version
of their Development Suite (Visual Studio 2005) actually complains to
not be compatible with the new OS (although, I've no problems and I've
done some pretty hairy stuff). I couldn't believe it. The previous
version, Visual Studio 2003, won't even work on a Vista system (Can you
say "UPGRADE OR DIE?") leaving developer, like me, who still have 1.1
apps to support to use Virtual PC to do it.

So far, what I've seen of the "New" Vista is all design. Different
colors for the backgrounds, buttons and task bar. Other than that, it's
all marketing (quite a bit like MS themselves).

I am not a total MS basher, but I hate watching people calling
themselves innovators, when mostly what they do is copy other people's
innovations (badly).

*steps off soap box*

~Lee