Speaking of Desktops

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Sep 28 21:56:16 CDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 09:00:52 pm leenix wrote:
> I've been looking at Beryl and Now Compiz Fusion.

(Someone will no doubt correct me on this, but the general idea is:) Compiz
was a SuSE project to out-eye-candy Vista.  (From what little I've seen of
Vista so far, Compiz is actually more like the next-gen Apple interface.)
Because of the positive, contributing, community minded <choke, cough>
attitude of the Novell team, a fork was started as an actual OSS project
called Beryl.  The progress made on this branch made the Novell team
re-consider some of their hereditary corporate attitudes, and the Beryl team
admitted they could use some resources.  Beryl has re-merged with Compiz,
hence the Fusion name.  Some updates have been released but last I looked
there was not a full, post-merger release available.

None of it will run on many current computers.  With a lot of luck, a hot PC
with a recent NVidia graphics card may do well.  People with ATI cards have
acquired entire new vocabularies, as have some NVidia owners.   Intel and SGI
need not apply - except sometimes, when the moon is just right.

It's unstable, alpha-grade software that will be the default desktop on the
next release of most distros.  Ain't support fun?