ITEC

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:45:57 CDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm considering trying to scrounge up a 1.4Ghz or
> 1.5Ghz machine as the demo PC, since apparently
> Ubuntu's "Beryl" desktop runs comfortably at that
> speed.  It would be nice to be able to demonstrate a
> Linux desktop which offered more eye candy than Vista
> on systems which won't run Vista.

More important than that would be to put a capable video card in it,
or use one with an integrated chipset that is supported (and capable).
 I've run Beryl on P3 machines with nVidia GF2 MX200 32MB cards and it
was tolerable, but not fast.  I've got a fast-ish P4 with just a lowly
GF4 MX440 and it's quite acceptable, but still not fast.  The P4 is
over 3x the clock speed the P3 ran at, but it sure isn't 3x faster
when using Beryl effects.  I'd think anything P3 on up with a full
power (ie, non-MX series nVidia and non-RxxxV ATI) should handle Beryl
fine.

Jon.