ITEC Software distribution

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:42:41 CDT 2007

FLOSS for Windows:
TheOpenCD: It was a nice package, but the big stuff was already on the
Ubuntu LiveCDs. At least as recently as the last LTS build, they were
shipping with Windows installers for OOo, Firefox, and one other app
(Thunderbird or GAIM?). In Edgy Eft, they were shipping with AbiWord,
GAIM, Thunderbird, Firefox, and the Gimp.

The other projects are promising, too, and there's something to be
said for variety, but it might be more feasible to just do Ubuntu,
given the relative ease of using their ShipIt system. That said,
ShipIt says it takes "up to ten weeks." That doesn't reflect my past
experience, but still, can we count on it getting here in time?

Operating systems:
Anything worth handing out over Ubuntu at the moment? Given the crowd,
would a couple of copies of the x86 builds of OpenSolaris be of any
interest? How about the low-end distros found on the Multi-Distro CD?
( http://www.linux.com/articles/54537 )

Misc utilities:
Would there be any interest in the attendees about the Ultimate Boot
CD w/INSERT Linux? ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ )

It's been the better part of a decade since I've attended one of
these, and at the time I was too busy gawking at the booths to eyeball
the rest of the crowd.

With the UBCD and Ubuntu, also keep in mind that both are good ways to
get Linux into the hands of someone that might have had a more
immediate interest in just playing around with the FLOSS Windows
software and OS-agnostic utilities.

-Sean Crago