The drifted SCO thread has opened a new arena. "IS there a place for a de facto IP freedom realm"

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:11:20 CDT 2007

All the rhetoric which has been beaten like dead horses aside, there is a
new angle seemingly lacking intelligent discussion.

It was claimed IIRC by Stewart Brand  that "Information wants to be free"
Then you know who introduced the Beer Vs Freedom meme.
Yet what the hell is meant by those in our mundane world?
Want in one hand and wish in the other if you want two empty hands was what
I'd been told all my life. AkA  "TANSTAAFL"

So who pays the bills if all is free? Ah, there's the problem. Sadly one not
answerable by 42.

Allegedly the term "Copyleft" at one time literally was found on buttons at
cons proclaiming "all rights reversed"
Then again,in the DRM ethos all rights are denied absent the de minimus and
even those are dubious.
See the real purpose of HDMI for example. Or read most  EULA of closed
source origin.  All this IS heading to a point.

The succession of GPL versions have made varying approaches to rational
handling of the disparate interests involved.
I humbly offer a radically simpler reboot of the gaming..

Can we function under a guideline of honor as a bond? That means a
declaration of mutual self respect for declared IP rights including their
inalienable repudiation from another' profit?

Yes, the applied fiction of repudiation is arguably incorrect legal
semantics but it spotlights a gap I feel needs attention.

Currently all the Diverse IP statues seem lacking in an instrumentality
where an IP creator can declare their work as property of all while denying
commercial interests from privatising in a restrictive manner such works.

One proposal is  for granting works their own incarnation.
There is legal precedent for chattels being of limited yet real court
standing.
My closing example for now is a proposal for one symbol possible as denoting
such .

A circle surrounding a F.

Simply put that denotes in a better future than we deserve an IP item could
be used but not sold or profited from in a manner that would diminish it's
freedom to others.

DO please try to pick apart this concept but be mindful that  history is
trending to a fork. Either the F in the circle or another emblem in a circle
of more grim history.