A Linux USB keyboard/mouse question

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 00:19:23 CDT 2007

While I agree with most of your statements (the "Could Care Less" one is
actually a pet peve of mine (Forgive my spelling!  It's late!))...

On 9/22/07, Monty J. Harder <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't say someone is "head over heels" in love, because you aren't saying
> anything special in noting that someone's head is over his heels.  Perhaps
> "heels over head" evokes imagery too graphic for polite conversation; it
> doesn't explain this illogical expression.

Though, literally this doesn't make absolute sense, it does give the
impression of someone who has started to fall, spinning in mid air.
Heels-over-head, to head-over-heels, and so on.

It is interesting to note that it originated as Heels-over-Head, so from
that standpoint you are correct.

"'Head over heels' is a good example of how language can communicate meaning
even when it makes no literal sense. After all, our head is normally over
our heels. The phrase originated in the 14th century as 'heels over head',
meaning doing a cartwheel or somersault."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/head-over-heels.html