Recommendations for sub-$300 standards-based inkjet printer?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 02:39:26 CDT 2007

I just got a nice job with Everest Cable (sadly I do
not live in an apartment complex served by Everest) so
with the income coming in I will be able to get a
replacement printer.  The current HP color inkjet
printer got knocked off its shelf by some cats, and
now only prints in black ink.

Someone mentioned that it was a good idea to get a
standards-based printer rather than something served
by HPLIP.  In about three weekly paychecks
(temp-to-perm in 90 days) I'll have about $200-$300 to
spend on a new printer.  I was wondering if anyone has
seen a color inkjet printer which is standards-based,
for sale at a Kansas City store.