Remote Application questions- may determine which Distro I use.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:10:42 CDT 2007

Simple concept:
I have been running ramdisk Linux distros whan at home to compatibility
check them.
And waiting to make a selection based on which distro will best handle
solving the below scenario.

Is it practical to use a slow wireless notebook thru remote sessions at
reasonable speed?
The "Host" and notebook for those remote sessions is defined below as
"Pertinent Details"
Above all else- Web browsing that's not painful. Primary Need there.
Dead last but would be nice:
Remote word processing NOT Google docs but local with forms printing.
As in to access/update a campground reservation program and docs for the
same property.

Pertinent details:

I am now the owner of a CF-25 Toughbook armored notebook.
P166,32 mb ram, 2gig hd. Not a screamer.
But folks have had X and wireless working on these.

80% of my "at home" weekend is spent within local wifi of my home.
Home link to "outside world" is DSL at 1.34down/793 up.
That 793 being averaged but for the phase 2 of this concept posibily an
issue.

Home hardware is: a dual core 2.88ghz class machine that I can get 2gig of
ram in.
200gig ATA drive currently XP only but getting a Linux distro pending this
current issue's results.
I have an 80 gig SATA drive to dedicate to this project if booting from a
dedicated drive makes this easier.

Oren Beck

816.632.3695
www.campdownunder.com