Feeling stupid for upgrading to Ubuntu 7.10 (was Upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10, now resolution stuck at 1600x1200)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 16:44:42 CDT 2007

--- Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I did some poking around over the weekend and
> > discovered /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> >
> > In this file I discovered essentially the same
> > video display text I remembered from editing
> > XFree86 config files.  As root I backed up the
> > original xorg.conf, then edited all the "Mode"
> > lines in xorg.conf to only have "1024x768" and
> > "800x600" in them, keeping 800x600 just as a
> > backup alternative.  "1024x768" is set as the
> > default for all color depths.

> That was doing by hand what my tip of using
> "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" would have
> done through "official" software with a text
> interface.

I tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", and all it
did was change the file for me, without a menu or any
kind of user interaction, delete all the Display
entries except the 24-bit color entry, and set the
default to 1600x1200.

Perhaps this is yet another Ubuntu 7.10 bug, as
printing has stopped working after the "upgrade".
Yes, I reinstalled the printer, twice now.  It isn't
the printer either, as the machine is dual-boot and
Windows prints just fine on the same printer attached
to the same computer.  After upgrading to 7.10 there
is the additional problem that, most of the time,
Nautilus crashes when it enters a directory containing
video files.

What is the "rollback" command for Ubuntu?  Or am I
stuck reinstalling Ubuntu 7.04?