Say "Bye-Bye SCO!"

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 20:57:24 CDT 2007

--- Joe Fish <reverend.joe at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't seem plausible to me that I could be
> arrested on criminal charges
> and have my life savings taken away and spend most
> of the rest of my life in
> jail for humming a few songs I heard on the radio
> out in public, but that
> definitely IS plausible under current "IP" laws
> (though those provisions are
> obviously not enforced).
No it isn't plausible. RIAA and others would like you
to believe this, but judges have repeatedly made it
clear that fair use is Constitutionally protected.
You're buying into FUD when you make statements like
this.

This might be what the RIAA would like but it's not
going to happen no one is ever going to get the
constitution changed to allow it, and no judge is
going to issue a ruling like this, and not have it
overturned.

Now back to the issue with GPL 3 and coupons and
distributing vs conveying.
You're all looking at it wrong.

The MS coupons are the equivalent of a free TV, but
the coupons ca only be obtained from one place, b y a
contractual agreement in which money has changed
hands. This is entirely different from me getting
coupons from McDonald's and conveying them to
hundreds. This is equivalent to me buying gift
certificates from McDonald's and then distributing
them to hundreds. This in effect makes me a conveyor
of McDonald's meals. Now since these MS-Novell coupons
give you the store bought version of SuSE with
support, they have in effect bought these versions and
are effectively giving them away by conveyance. This
is to me a very logical legal argument to say that
they are bound by terms of the GPL3.

Now back to the original topic. Chapter 11 isn't the
death of SCO, they are simply using this to spend all
tha money they have before chapter 7 is forced on
them. It's really a very childish ploy. I can here
Darl now "Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah!". I hop the BK Judge
puts a quick stop to this and and causes all the
conspiring parties to be properly prosecuted. They
spent over $500,000 in retainer's fees for the BK
lawyers, and started spending money like crazy just
before they filed . I hope the judge really guves it
to them. SCO is dead, and has been ever since IBM and
Novell fought back. Which is why I'm left with this
bad taste in my mouth about the bi-polar Novell (good
one minute, bad the next).