OS-X

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:58:34 CDT 2007

They hacked the Mac OS X to run on Intel hardware. I'm not talking about
them changing to an Intel architecture. While I'm not sure of the
particulars, I heard that it's only a few minor code adjustments to get the
OS to run on Intel hardware. If I remember right, it's a BIOS checking
thing. If it's not the Mac BIOS, it won't install or run?

On 5/16/07, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> For a long time, I've been under the impression, largely from friends who
> have
> been running Macintoshes for ages, that OS-X was based on one of the three
> BSD forks - that essentially it was a *BSD with an Apple window
> manager/desktop environment, and with the kernel (and other programs)
> locked
> to the Trusted Program Module (TPM).
>
> Comments from some of you lately led me to do some research.  It appears
> that,
> at least on the internet, current documentation agrees that OS-X is based
> on
> Openstep, which evolved from NeXTSTEP, which was derived from 4.4 BSD
> (pre-fork?) and the Mach OS.
>
> It's funny how knowledge like this can evolve on the web.  What gets
> collated,
> analyzed, and archived becomes the truth.  What was known to be true at
> the
> time gets forgotten.   Mode Emulators become
> Modulator/Demodulators.  Other
> acronyms drift.

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.