No subject

Thu Mar 8 15:31:17 CST 2007

"media" in addition to the initially mentioned DVD. IF we can buy a 2G USB
drive for <$20 at Micro Center today ,how long does it take to buy a game
packaged as I described delivered on such a drive.

Ohyeah- the "piracy" and "GottstohaveDRM' issues get crucified by anything
released this way being GPL/Creative Commons etc. There's an inherent short
circuit to this project lurking for some bright soul to extract and begin
printing money with.. Contact me off list if you see it too. And we can
hatch it as a possibly lucrative venture- but it only works if we get the
right crew  -  which we have most of on this list.

Oren Beck
"Yes, it builds itself just for your system"

------=_Part_155336_28660892.1182741424124

</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
I read a lot on the response to getting games to play with &quot;Wine&quot;,<br>&quot;VMware,&quot; and &quot;Cedega 5.1&quot; however, we on this forum are here because we<br>want a chose and can afford the opportunity to play around with what
have files of value they don&#39;t want to lose.
And your comment about insert,install, and play.?<br>
What of skipping the &quot;install&quot; by thinking outside the box a bit. <br>
IF the issues are ones of the Resident OS either being damaged by an
install or not being able to play nice with an install for another
flavor of OS? simply IGNORE&nbsp; the OS and run as Ramdisk.<br>

It&#39;&#39;s not too extreme an entry requirement to expect&nbsp; a DVD drive for this plan is it?<br>
IF that hardware spec is coupled with a certain RAM size then we set a new game plan up.<br>
We&#39;ve become comfortable with livedistros and Ramdisk based operation.<br>
Putting those together with the concept of a Gentoo style build process then offers something new.<br>
A livedistro that probes for the essential system resources to run the game in question.<br>
That bulid file gets written to a net folder or local storage, thence multisession written to the <br>
media the game itself is on. What in the end is wrought by this seemingly odd path?<br>
A liveDVD incarnation of a game that has been built to only have those resources for it&#39;s intended host.<br>
Not a damned bit on that created from the &quot;build stage&quot;: media would be
unneeded. And that needed part would include enough blank media space
to save character data etc That&#39;s the windup to the pitch. The real
pitch is a new game.<br>
The new game- horrid pun intentional - is running the whole Linux OS and the game app as Ramdisk.<br>
IT works along this model.<br>
Some forward thinking soul will release a game in this incarnation or something akin to it.<br>
The folks who bought 8 gig ram capable motherboards will stuff those boards that full.<br>
After the initial reports of games that run under Linux of any sort that no longer suck we gain stret cred.<br>