No subject

Thu Mar 8 15:31:17 CST 2007

enough time to learn the things you needed to learn to get Linux to work or
you, and a host of others as well. I applaud your effort and am happy to
have you in the "Linux Community."

On another note, it seems that Earle is as much a Linux Advocate as I would
guess the rest of us are being that he has turned quite a few people on to
Linux, with good results. Earle, don't get to pissed at Linux people that
gripe a little about those on the MS side. It's easy to get frustrated at
the MS camp because of their general lack of understanding of what they are
actually participating in, even though they don't know it.

Just my 2 cents guys, please don't flame me too bad. ;-)

On 5/7/07, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2007 05:58:26 pm Earle Beason wrote:
>
> > Quite frankly I don't understand Linux, I don't know how to code , I
> > don't know all the in and outs, however I am learning it as I go.
>
> I guess I've been very unclear about this.  No, you're not a
> "luser".  You're
> willing to learn.  (In fact, I suspect that learning may be one of the
> reasons you're into Linux.)
>
> The people I mean to express scorn for are the people who come into
> support
> channels on IRC and say things like "Don't tell me to use the console, I
> don't want anything to do with text mode".
>
> I meant to point out a certain stage of learning and development common to
> the
> average SuSE user in that they still rely on Windows.  I, myself, was at
> that
> stage for about six years while I ran Linux professionally on text-only
> servers, and I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to some of the GUI
> stuff.
>
> People who are willing to learn a little, and who want their computer to
> do
> what _they_ want to do, not what what some corporate shill thinks they
> should
> want to do are the people who should run Linux.
>
> There will always be people who shouldn't run Linux though.  Some of them
> try
> because it's a free way to pirate and run Windows games.  They have no
> interest in how the system works or what it's doing, they just want to
> click
> and go.
>
> I don't consider Windows users undesirables.  I don't hate people because
> they
> use Windows.  There are some users who I really think shouldn't user Linux
> because they really aren't willing to learn anything new, and those people
> should use Windows.

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.
riverty at gmail.com

------=_Part_79755_7616383.1178642204380

While I see Earle&#39;s side in this, I must somewhat agree with Jonathan&#39;s stance on this. I think that one of the biggest hurdles people coming from the MS world to Linux is laziness. Let me explain.<br><br>When my father purchased his first x86 computer, (Windows
3.1 / MS-DOS 6.2) he knew nothing about computers and had to spend the time in a book to learn DOS and Windows and how they interact with each other. He had to spend the time to read and learn about how to install drivers, edit
config.sys and autoexec.bat, and modify Windows to do the things that he wanted to do. Since then, he has only had to learn the fairly minor differences between Windows versions through the years to keep running his programs and doing the work he does on his machine. If you think about it, everyone had to learn basic computer fundamentals when they started no matter what version of Windows that was. We all had to learn the Operating System stuff.
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">On Monday 07 May 2007 05:58:26 pm Earle Beason wrote:<br><br>&gt; Quite frankly I don&#39;t understand Linux, I don&#39;t know how to code , I
riverty at gmail.com</a>

------=_Part_79755_7616383.1178642204380--