DVD Authoring

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:58:57 CDT 2007

OK, so now that we know the list isn't broken, just quiet, I thought I'd
throw a topic out there to get some input.

What's the best DVD authoring software for linux?  Preferably, I'd want
something GUI-based that you can make menus and add video clips or
directories of pictures as slide shows and outputs to an ISO file I can burn
with my program of choice.  Below, are the programs I've tried.

Avidemux:  I can't figure out what exactly it's even supposed to do.
Re-sampling/re-encoding video maybe, but not dvd-authoring.
Cinnelera:  This  app feels REALLY clunky, and while it got much kudos from
TLLTS, I can't get it to do anything useful.  When I start it, it says to
run "echo "0x7fffffff" > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax".  So I do that, and try to
restart it, and it doesn't even come up!  I see a window titled "[x]" on the
taskbar, but until I kill off that window, i can't even launch the
applications menu to find another program.
QDVDAuthor: Depends on QTDevel, any one of xine, vlc, or mplayer, and
dvd-slideshow.  Looks like they put as much work into the compiler/installer
as they did into the app itself.  It's kind of touchy, and I still haven't
gotten it to do what I want, but haven't given up yet.
DVDBaker: Haven't tried it yet
DVD-Slideshow: CLI, which I would normally prefer, but it doesn't make sense
in my head to create a graphical work through a text interface.  I only
downloaded and installed this because it was a dependency of QDVDAuthor
DVDStyler: I can't figure out how to import a directory of pictures.  It
looks like a nice clean program, and outputs to an ISO like I want.
However, when I try to make a disk of a video, I get "**ERROR: [mplex] Too
many frame drops -exiting.  Error executing of command: mplex -f 8 -S 0 -o
"/home/BCrook/Desktop/dvdstyler/title0- 0-0.vob"
"/home/BCrook/Desktop/dvdstyler/title0-0-0-0.m1v"
"/home/BCrook/Desktop/dvdstyler/title0-0-0-0.mp2""
ExFalso: WTF.  I don't even get what it's supposed to do.
Kino: I like it.  It's probably the best yet for editing video sequences.
However, I don't know about picture galleries, and I can't figure out to get
an ISO out of it.  AND, the AUDIO IS OUT OF SYNC!  So I can't use it.  It
also had to convert the mpg files into dv files, which I'm OK with, but
maybe that conversion caused the audio to be out of sync.

Also on a humorous side-note, when you're on a plane with 80% battery
remaining, don't start up all these tools at once in their own workspace.
Even with 4 gigs of ram, when they're all trying to load up or inport 500
megs of media, it ties up the system for some time.

-Billy