USB flash recovery tools?

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Thu Mar 15 13:47:58 CDT 2007

Its not false advertising, they are just following IEC and IEEE
standards. The IEC realized that people were incorrectly using SI
prefixes to denote quantities of binary numbers. That's why in 1999 the
IEC introduced the prefixes kibi, mebi, gibi, etc. to specify multiples
of a binary quanity. So, in reality, its us who are still using
incorrect notations. Hardware manufactures stick to the IEEE standards.
So it's the engineers, not the marketing and sales people who are
responsible.

477MiB = 500,170,752 bytes = 500MB

However, once something gets stuck in someone's head, it hard to change.
Take the metric system as an example. Its a far better system of
measurement than the old standard, but people here in the US still thumb
their noses at it. I'm like you and I too get that confused, because
that's how I learned it way back when. Hopefully they are teaching the
next generation the correct notations so a few generations from now this
will all be interesting geek trivia.