USB flash recovery tools?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Mar 15 12:53:22 CDT 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 12:37, Monty J. Harder wrote:
> Nothing false about it.  It's the inevitable result of using an
> established term to mean something different.

"using an established term to mean something different" is dishonest/false. :p

> The SI prefix 'M' means 10^6, not 2^20.

I don't see any legitimacy to a claim over a single-letter abbreviation. Can I
claim 'L' and prevent anyone from making any abbreviation beginning with that
letter? :)

> Memory is almost always listed using the binary terminology, which would be
> written MiB according to the most popular disambiguation scheme.

Only SI proponents use MiB from what I've seen.

> HD manufacturers all use the SI meaning, because it allows them to advertise
> a larger number of MB.

Exactly. False advertising.

> A third definition of 'MB' is that used by floppy drives, 10^3 x 2^10, or
> 2000 sectors of 512 bytes.  A '1.44 MB' floppy has 2880 sectors.

IIRC, that was an accident.