Speeding up a machine

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Wed Mar 14 09:34:30 CDT 2007

I agree that a preemptable kernel probably won't help start up times. It
will help his overall system latency, which he was complaining about
also.

However, I have to correct you on your statement. Preemptable kernel
configurations are hardly a week step when you consider a twenty fold
increase in process-level responses in some cases.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5600

"The theory is that when I/O data becomes available, a preemptive kernel
can wake an I/O-bound process more quickly. The result is higher
throughput, a nice bonus. The net result is a smoother desktop, less
audio dropout under load, better application response and improved
fairness to high-priority tasks."

However, Billy, I just realized you have a Core2Duo. Most package
distros compile for lowest common denominator. Which means your probably
not using the full potential of your processor. Which has dual cores and
a 64-bit architecture. Here is a good wiki to point you in the right
direction on setting up your kernel:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Intel_Core2_Duo

It's a Gentoo wiki, but should be valid for all distros.