Speeding up a machine

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Mar 13 11:22:31 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 16:21 -0600, Jeremy Fowler wrote:
> Make sure that your kernel is built with the Preemtible (Low Latency
> Desktop) Model turned on.

Since no one else corrected this statement I feel that I should.
Preemptible kernel configurations are specficially made available as a
weak stepping stone to a time when the Linux kernel offers real-time
scheduling. The pre-emptible feature will only increase the rate at
which the kernel responds to hardware interrupts and even then only by a
few milliseconds at most. This would mostly be visible in things like
mouse cursor responsiveness when the system is under heavy IO load. It
will not help the start up time of any application.