Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 15:47:00 CDT 2007

I have setup a few of my clients on Xubuntu 6.06 LTS. They required a GUI to
admin the server so Xubuntu was it. Still running great - no complaints. I
think the only thing I want an X-windows GUI for is Synaptic. Makes software
maintenence much easier than working with Aptitude. It's better from a CLI
standpoint, but still not as easy to use as Synaptic.

I agree with not using Gentoo. Gentoo is cool - fastest desktop I ever ran.
It simply got to be a pain when 25 updates came out and I was finding my
machine compiling software for 8 hours instead of using it to get my work
done. Not good.

BTW - Sorry about the top post. :-0

On 3/13/07, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> On Mon, March 12, 2007 12:36, RtX wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I do think I will run Xubuntu.
>
> Why not Ubuntu Server?  Based on 6.06 with Long Term Support.
>
> Yes, you could run just about any distro as a server, just as you can
> theoretically fix any problem you encounter in Linux - if you can code
> well enough.  There are serious disadvantages to installing a
> Desktop-oriented distro though.  I found that Mandriva 2007 took a long
> time to find and fix bugs in packages that were server-specific, although
> it's great as a desktop.  I wouldn't use it for a server again, there are
> just too few eyes on the critical code.

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.
riverty at gmail.com