Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Mar 12 14:19:06 CDT 2007

On Mon, March 12, 2007 12:36, RtX wrote:

> Anyway, I do think I will run Xubuntu.

Why not Ubuntu Server?  Based on 6.06 with Long Term Support.

Yes, you could run just about any distro as a server, just as you can
theoretically fix any problem you encounter in Linux - if you can code
well enough.  There are serious disadvantages to installing a
Desktop-oriented distro though.  I found that Mandriva 2007 took a long
time to find and fix bugs in packages that were server-specific, although
it's great as a desktop.  I wouldn't use it for a server again, there are
just too few eyes on the critical code.