Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:32:38 CDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Jeremy Fowler <JFowler at westrope.com> wrote:
> >Don't use Gentoo.
>
> Why?

Scroll up a bit: "I'd had make and gcc running for a couple of days straight:"

It'd be fine to build Gentoo from source if it was a fairly permanent
box, and it didn't have to be rolled out any time soon, but I'd rather
have:
A: (Lord forgive me) a binary, well-tested kernel, given that it's a
remote server.
B: A distribution where the standard modus operandi was to use binary
packages.  This affects everything from the docs (rare indeed is the
Gentoo doc that doesn't require a source build/astandard USE flags) to
the availability of binary packages.

I love Gentoo and use it every day at home, but on a lower-end box,
and on servers in general, I'd tend to shy away from it.

-Sean