Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:36:22 CDT 2007

I kinda figured that this was the answer I would get. I understand that any
linux distro would work, and your right, I should/could run any distro that
I am comfortable with. One of the cool things about Linux is that once you
know one, it's just a few readme's away from running another. I just
wondered if someone had any experience with this server and a particular
distro. Kind of a long-shot but what the heck. That's what a group like this
is for?!?!

Anyway, I do think I will run Xubuntu. Lighter duty desktop (which I will
not use much at all) and Debian based which I like. On that note, what do
you all feel about the differences between running Debian Testing and Debian
Stable? For server use?

On 3/12/07, Brian Kelsay <ripcrd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/12/07, Kyle Sexton <> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:24:24AM -0500, RtX wrote:
> > > OK, so now I'm gonna setup a web server on this Compaq Proliant 3000.
> > > anticipate running Apache2, mysql, ssh, ftp, samba, and possibly
> > Teamspeak on
> > > it.
> > >
> > > System specs are:
> > >
> > > Dual Pentium-II 400 Mhz
> > > 896MB Ram
> > > 28GB RAID 5 Storage (7 drives)
> > >
> > > What flavor of Linux would you run on it? Mainly I'm looking for
> > someone with
> > > experience running Linux on this machine but opinions are welcome as
> > well.
> > >
> > > --
> > > RtX...
> > >
> > > Ty Unes
> >

> > This server is old enough that I think asking for current distros that
> > run
> > well on it might not work.  My advice is to pick a distribution you're
> > comfortable with and go with that.  Google told me that people were
> > using
> > Redhat 7.2 on it, but I wouldn't recommend that. :)
> >
> > (Purposely not suggesting a distro so as to avoid the ensuing war!)
> > --
> > Kyle Sexton
>

> Why should it matter what distro, as long as you config it to run like a
> server?  You could use Debian or one of the Ubuntu's, with or without a GUI
> based on your amount of avail. RAM, though on a server you probably don't
> want or need one.  If you want one avail., then I'd suggest you have it not
> start by default, but only when you run "startx".
>
> I guess RedHat and Suse would work as well, though they are down my list
> of recommendations.  Run what works, run what you know, run what your
> friends run so they can help you.  That said, I'd say go with Debian or an
> Ubuntu Server install.
>
> Brian Kelsay

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.