Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:44:45 CDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Kyle Sexton <> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:24:24AM -0500, RtX wrote:
> > OK, so now I'm gonna setup a web server on this Compaq Proliant 3000. I
> > anticipate running Apache2, mysql, ssh, ftp, samba, and possibly
> Teamspeak on
> > it.
> >
> > System specs are:
> >
> > Dual Pentium-II 400 Mhz
> > 896MB Ram
> > 28GB RAID 5 Storage (7 drives)
> >
> > What flavor of Linux would you run on it? Mainly I'm looking for someone
> with
> > experience running Linux on this machine but opinions are welcome as
> well.
> >
> > --
> > RtX...
> >
> > Ty Unes
>

> This server is old enough that I think asking for current distros that run
> well on it might not work.  My advice is to pick a distribution you're
> comfortable with and go with that.  Google told me that people were using
> Redhat 7.2 on it, but I wouldn't recommend that. :)
>
> (Purposely not suggesting a distro so as to avoid the ensuing war!)
> --
> Kyle Sexton

Why should it matter what distro, as long as you config it to run like a
server?  You could use Debian or one of the Ubuntu's, with or without a GUI
based on your amount of avail. RAM, though on a server you probably don't
want or need one.  If you want one avail., then I'd suggest you have it not
start by default, but only when you run "startx".

I guess RedHat and Suse would work as well, though they are down my list of
recommendations.  Run what works, run what you know, run what your friends
run so they can help you.  That said, I'd say go with Debian or an Ubuntu
Server install.

Brian Kelsay