Speeding up a machine

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 12:20:16 CST 2007

>In the sense that my Chevy and an armored personnel carrier both serve
>the purpose of transporting people.

Comparing CMD.EXE and Konsole isn't anything like comparing a Chevy
and an APC.  It's more like comparing a tiny Hyundai's engine and
Hummer chassis.  It really doesn't make sense.

CMD.exe/Command.com are shells, like, but greatly inferior to,
bash/ksh/etc.  It's possible to write a Konsole like tabbed
application that would allow you to manage multiple instances of CMD
in one window, or, if you're anything like me, cygwin's bash.

>There is so much stuff I can do at a Bourne or Korn prompt
> (much less bash) that in Windows would require a VB script
> or a compiled binary to do the same thing.

Speaking of cygwin, there's no reason you can't port those scripts
over, nearly verbatim, to Windows.  perl, bash, korn, python, et al
are available in Windows as well, and they work great.

-Sean Crago/MrZaius