Metis

Kyle Sexton ks at mocker.org
Fri Mar 9 21:54:31 CST 2007

On 3/6/07, Jared <jared at hatwhite.com> wrote:

> >> The whole virtual machine concept implies that you are not
> >> to be trusted as a developer. You are expected to trust
> >> the language vendor more than your own programming skills.
>
> > This isn't the concept of the virtual machine. After all,
> > it's really just a extremely CISC CPU intended to be
> > emulated. It's not part of the language.
>
> I understand this. I still resist the notion of any limitation
> between a programming language and the machine, because it is a
> dangerous trend to limit the developer from full, assembler-level
> access to all hardware. Otherwise you incrementally stunt his
> abilities, and that is sad. I am thinking about development fifty+
> years in the future, when these issues are more mature, and from
> that perspective, the Java approach is incrementally more and
> more limiting to the developer.
>
> >> Java has cross-platform merits, but clearly, it was designed by the
> >> marketing department, not by the geek squad.
>
> > Java has cross-platform merits not because of the virtual machine,
> > but because of its extensive standard library giving abstractions
> > for most of what people need to do. C and C++ can be generally
> > cross-platform, provided you only use the standard library, but
> > their stdlibs don't cover as much ground. Qt, on the other hand,
> > builds on C++ and replaces its standard library with one that is
> > more flexible and has a broader range of support, including the
> > QtGui module which provides for graphical interfaces.
>
> Java does have cross-platform merits because of the virtual machine.
> Your observations on libraries are keen, but are not the only
> reason that Java has cross-platform merits. We're both right:
>
> I quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform.
>
>      As previously noted, the Java platform is an exception
>      to the general rule that an operating system is a software
>      platform. The Java language provides a virtual machine,
>      or a "virtual CPU" which runs all of the code that is
>      written for the language. This enables the same executable
>      binary to run on all systems which support the Java
>      software, through the Java Virtual Machine. Java executables
>      do not run directly on the operating system; that is,
>      neither Windows nor Linux execute Java programs directly.
>      Instead, a special computer program called the JVM, or
>      Java Virtual Machine, is run by the operating system, which
>      in turn runs the Java program.
>
> Again, I'm fine with Java as a language, if only the virtual layer
> could be removed.
>
> >> If you can't crash a server, and crash it big with buggy
> >> inline assembler, how are you ever going to learn grace
> >> under pressure, which is a necessary component of any
> >> responsible world domination plan? ;)
>
> > You can't, or at least shouldn't be able to, crash a server
> > with mere userland code. In most cases, you can't provided
> > the server has been setup properly (eg, limiting forks to
> > prevent forkbombs).
>
> The logic behind "limiting forks" is a good idea for beginners.
> [...]

I think I'm the complete opposite.  I love the fact that VMWare/QEmu/etc..
are coming along and creating a virtual machine where I don't have to worry
about hardware compatibility anymore.  I'd like to eventually have
preconfigured/pretuned virtual machines that are specific to a job function
become the norm.  This makes server migrations, turn-ups, turn-downs, etc..
far easier imho.  But this is coming from a SysAdmin, not a programmer, so
that may be the difference.

--
Kyle Sexton