FC4 and tzdata

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 12:07:17 CST 2007

On 3/8/07, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> So, I read the US rules as setting the national standard, and then
> the more regional rules to set the individual timezones before they
> to were conformed universally to a national standard.

There has apparently been only one time when DST rules were in effect,
but not applied uniformly throughout all areas that do practice DST,
which was when Hawaii went to DST for three weeks in 1933.  The DST
rules for NYC, Chicago, Denver, and CA vary only in those historical
periods that the US ruleset is silent.

Prior to 1967, in peacetime DST was a local option. A state or
subdivision thereof might have changed DST participation while the
ones adjacent did not.  I can confidently state that there has NEVER
been a 'regional rule' that applied to the entire Central Time Zone
but not to any other.

I stand by the statement that there should be a single US rule, 6
timezone definitions that use it (EST5EDT, CST6CDT, MST7MDT, PST8PDT,
AKST9AKDT, HAST10HADT), and 4 that don't practice DST at present
(AST4,MST7,HAST10 [aka HST10], ASST11), and the microzones that
represent areas that have changed zones or DST use since 1970, such as
the counties in IN that have moved between ET and CT, and toggled
their DST use.