Political Blather

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Mon Jan 22 18:24:13 CST 2007

We tried to use Vista. We (a team of 3 techs) couldn't get a brand new
HP printer to work. That's a deal killer, and certainly a permanent loss
of me as a user. (Note that Linux and Mac OSX had an easier time than
even WinXP with this printer)

Everything is a matter of perspective. Yeah, Linux can be a pain in the
arse to get up and running, but once you get it there, it stays there.
Many of our users are slowly migrating away from Microsoft products to
open-source alternatives, mainly because of stability and consistency.

We have roughly half of our administrative staff using a decent amount
of OSS now, where 2 years ago it was just me. Every single one of them
migrated by choice, and none of them are tech savvy. Granted, I'm the
only one to go (almost) pure-OSS, but I imagine within the next year or
two we will have a much more diverse set of platforms on campus.

~Bradley