Upgrading from FC4 to Kubuntu???

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:52:06 CST 2007

On 1/5/07, Jared <jared at hatwhite.com> wrote:

> > I haven't found anything significant that was available, or more
> current, in
> > Gentoo than in *buntu and in Mandriva.  Better yet, the binary packages
> work
> > when installed, and I don't get stuck in a dependency upgrade lock
> because
> > some required file won't build or isn't the right version.
>
> Sigh. We must run such criticism through the JH filter, and see
> if anything survives. (ie. it could be an email from someone
> who Just Hates everything he doesn't understand). Thus, if he
> doesn't like Gentoo, it's possibly because he couldn't get it
> running, not because it has any flaws. For example:
>
> > Nobody should kid themselves that using emerge is anything like building
> LFS,
> > compiling and installing from a tarball, or the best practice, building
> your
> > own binary .deb or .rpm files.  Those tasks will teach you useful things
> > about your system.  Gentoo will just teach you to hate it because it's
> always
> > broken.
>
> Let's look carefully at the logic here. Logically, this is comparing
> binary .deb and .rpm scripts with "using emerge".
>
> Not a fair comparison. This is two different classes. Why not
> compare "creating ebuild scripts" and "building .deb or .rpm"?
> Emerge is only "always broken" to people who don't know how to
> fix it, same as anywhere else.
>
> So the true underlying question, having filtered the noise out:
> If you want to learn useful things about your system, do you want
> to study source or pre-compiled binaries?
>
> Leaerning "useful things about your system" does not come
> from installing binary pre-compiled packages, HALF as much
> as it comes from installing from source. Yes, it's more
> difficult to master. So?
>
> Gentoo. Smooth, and like a rock. And very very fast, managed
> by people who know what they're doing.
>
> Look, I know VERY LITTLE, and I'm comfortable with Gentoo. It's
> not that I know a lot, it's simply that I do not despise what I
> do not know. Debian is still my favorite, even though it's "always
> broken." And Suse is what's on my dual-boot box, only because
> I haven't figured out how to get rid of it without clobbering
> the Windows partition. And none of these I despise. :)
>
> Oh, and here is what EDOS says about packages. You'll see that
> "always broken" is not specific to any single flavor of Linux.
>
> http://www.edos-project.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/PackageOverview
>
> -Jared

This thread raises a bigger question by where it's gone and NOT examined.
The "WHY"  a given distro or project gets  left so far behind that we have
to migrate.
Not one of the usual fates of maintainer/s give up- though at the end of my
look at this I offer a reason and cure- but an overall query. Absent
something so much better coming along that really obsoletes the "FOO" one is
migrating from to the "BAR" that is so much better- Why do otherwise
workable schemes go west?

One of my best discussion points is asking someone to compare PINE to
Thunderbird.

That's going to be a seperate rant.

I have been trying to follow what's being used for logic by the folks in
this thread.
Some VERY good points on different aspects are being made.
Then again- I am able to see both the ubergeek thrill of low level DIY and
the comfort that "appliance operation" can bring. Not to deprecate either
extreme. just to mention that there's a risk in these threads of polarity.
Those who have found a comfortable niche tend to stick in it. And others
seek more. I guess a certain bipolar streak defines where my comfort is.
There ARE times when riding the bleeding edge of alpha releases can be a
kick. Then there's a time for "it just works"

Let's all do our part to make that "just plain works" user experience the
default one.
I mean- how many of us are feeding back bug info ? A sincere attaboy to
those of us who are.  And an  even more sincere plea- if you are not- start
doing so!
Because if we do the chances of a distro or concept getting orphaned
decreases and these migrations become less frequent.