Distro for Older Hardware

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Apr 4 12:08:04 CDT 2007

I have an old laptop, IBM Thinkpad 380 Z, that had Mandrake 9.1 installed and
running reasonably.  It's a low-power system, with only a 300MHz PII, 96M of
ram, and a 3G hard drive, but it ran Mandrake reasonably well.

Unfortunately, support for 9.1 is no longer available (with good reason, great
advances have been made), and that means I can't set up either of my wireless
cards, at least not easily.

I decided to try Kubuntu on it, and used the Alternate CD that's supposed to
allow for older. less powerful systems.  The results are pretty poor.  The
install didn't check to see that I'd passed a custom option to the kernel so
it could boot (ide=nodma).  It didn't detect the sound system at all (ubuntu
seems to be having some serious problems with sound these days).  It failed
to detect the CardBus ethernet card at boot, although I was able to configure
it.  It doesn't appear to have adjusted it's package selection by much; I had
to remove OpenOffice to get enough space to run the initial package update.
The install took around eight hours to complete, the package update just
finished after over an hour.

I really haven't had a chance to give the system a fair chance yet, but
looking at how long the text-mode update took, I'm not optimistic.

I have the CD for DamnSmallLinux, and I will probably try that next.  I know
some of you have built linux systems on older hardware, and I'd like to know
what you'd recommend for a system of this vintage.  Surely there's something
as capable today as Mandrake was five (?) years ago?