ITEC Registration Deadline?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 11:34:56 CDT 2006

The machine is 600Mhz, PII or PIII, Intel anyway.  I
had to install Debian 3.1r3.  I wanted to install
Ubuntu 6.06 on the machine, but Ubuntu refused to get
past the installer screen and crashed a lot, dropping
me out of XWindows into a useless user prompt.  I
tried the Ubuntu Alternate installer CD and that
crashed a lot too.  I never got Dapper Drake to
install on that machine.

I'm really wondering about Ubuntu.  I was told Ubuntu
was created primarily to give third world countries an
easy-to-setup OS other than Windows, but if the
*installer* crashes on the type of computer likely to
be donated to third world countries, how will this
goal be fulfilled?

Oh, I did link up to the testing and unstable packages
so I could install OpenOffice.org 2.0.  This was the
original reason I wanted to install Dapper Drake,
since 6.06 comes with OpenOffice.org 2.0.  The machine
has a TV card on it too (cheap little bttv), I was
thinking of dragging along a DVD player to demonstrate
TV in Linux.

I don't think that two Debian machines would be a
problem.  Its not like we're attending a fancy
computer party and it would be embarassing to find out
someone else is wearing the same distro.