linux distro for laptop

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Oct 24 09:27:41 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 14:08 +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> You just proved my point. It replaces/kills KWin. KWin is an essential part of
> KDE. If it's missing, it's no longer KDE that you're using, it's some hybrid.
> GNOME differs because it supports and is designed able to handle changing the
> window manager.

KWin does two noticible things for KDE:

Draws the frame around a window and allows you to move windows
Implements the GUI Alt-Tab and Ctrl-Tab popups.

That's it.

Beryl implements those things itself. So when you run them in place of
KWin, it works just fine. Just like it works just fine in place of
Metacity.