linux distro for laptop

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Oct 23 14:13:03 CDT 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 13:59, RtX wrote:

> So, while tooling around the Linux stuff I ran across a distro called
> Sabayon Linux. This distro runs "Beryl" which is like an X overlay
> that gives your window manager some very cool eye candy that would
> certainly compete with "Aero Glass." ...  There is a downside
> to this distro however in that it is Gentoo Linux, not one of the more
> "n00by-friendly" distros out there.

The 3D desktop is available on Mandriva 2007 as well, but not really ready for
prime time.

Beryl is the free, open fork of Novell/SuSE Linux' Compiz desktop, which one
must assume is available for SuSE.

There are many challenges in getting it to work on certain hardware, but some
people seem to luck out.  I've heard that it works better with Gnome than
with KDE, and of course works for more mid-to-high end, recent systems than
either exotic or legacy hardware.

The most telling thing I've heard said about it is "now if only someone would
write some software that actually did something with all this".