Problems with video conversion temp files

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Wed Nov 29 17:00:47 CST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:44:53PM -0800, Leo Mauler wrote:

> So I stopped Kino, and deleted the temp file it had
> created.  The problem is that the temp file didn't go
> away.  I did "ls -lahR | less" and checked all the
> filesizes, and nothing was 7.9GB or anywhere near that
> size.  Processes attached to my account were crashing
> all over the place, since they couldn't save their
> config files.
>
> Eventually I had to reboot and that fixed the problem,
> but I wanted to know if anyone knew of a solution that
> didn't require rebooting?

Some process still had the file open (probably a sub-process
of kino).  If you had known that you could have killed that
process.  Rebooting fixed the problem by killing the process.
fuser is a command line program that you can use to find out
what processes have a file open.  You need to do this before
removing the file, obviously.

--
Hal Duston
hald at kc.rr.com