Problems with video conversion temp files

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 16:44:53 CST 2006

I've been looking into doing some video editing in
Linux. I have a video a friend of mine in Colorado
took of our wedding.  He digitized it and sent it to
me awhile back (2000), before he had a DVD burner, so
its about two hours of video on two CDs.

So I thought I'd see if I could do what needed to be
done to make a DVD out of it to pass on to the
relatives.  My best man's wedding toast is on it and
he was rather good, so I also wanted to strip off the
audio as its own file.

I wanted to load the first hour of video into Kino
(Kino was on the Debian package repository), so I told
Kino to import the video (about 650MB AVI).  About an
hour later it had filled up the 8GB left in /home and
wanted more.  What I didn't read in the documentation
is that Kino only works with DV files which are
uncompressed audio and uncompressed video, and
"importing" means it will convert compressed
audio/video files into uncompressed DV files.

So I stopped Kino, and deleted the temp file it had
created.  The problem is that the temp file didn't go
away.  I did "ls -lahR | less" and checked all the
filesizes, and nothing was 7.9GB or anywhere near that
size.  Processes attached to my account were crashing
all over the place, since they couldn't save their
config files.

Eventually I had to reboot and that fixed the problem,
but I wanted to know if anyone knew of a solution that
didn't require rebooting?

Incidentally, what does work for home video editing
(and is also on the standard Debian package
repository) is: Avidemux (you might see it listed as
Avidemux2).  If any of you have used VirtualDub in
Windows, Avidemux is VirtualDub, except I found
Avidemux a little easier to figure out.  Avidemux is
available for Windows too.  Converts, edits, strips
out audio as its own file, all the stuff a home user
needs.